• Connect with Us:

Student FAQ

Q: Can I contact my host via email or WhatsApp prior to arrival?

A: Yes, you are. We encourage the host and student to make contact prior to arrival to break the ice and get to know each other more. You have your host’s contact details, so you are welcome to contact them directly.
This is also a good opportunity to let you host know if there is any food you don’t like, and your favourite foods.

Q: I’m a minor (under 18 years old) and I have an uncle in Australia. Can he pick me up from the airport when I arrive?

A: Unfortunately, if you are a minor, you must be transferred to your homestay by our driver. Most of the institutions will allow you to travel to the homestay with your parents, however, you must seek a permission from your institution prior to your arrival.

Q: I have an airport pick-up booked, but I couldn’t find my driver when I got off the plane. What number should I dial to find him?

A: You may ring our office number: +61 2 9264 4022 (Monday to Friday, 10am – 5.30pm) or emergency number on: +61 430 008 448 (outside working hours). The number of your driver will also be on your airport pick-up (APU) sign we provided when we finalised your booking.

Q: What happens if my flight is cancelled?

A: Please send us an email to change@globalexperience.com.au or phone +61 430 008 448 as soon as possible. Bear in mind that you need to contact us within 24 hours prior to your originally scheduled arrival, otherwise a new airport pick-up fee applies.

Q: Can I bring my parents to my homestay to meet with my host family and help me to unpack my belongings?

A: Please ask Global experience to ask your host, or you may ask them directly with the contact information you received. Your host must give permission before you arrive, so it doesn’t come as a surprise. You and your parents are kindly asked to respect the privacy of your host by not taking pictures/videos of the house.

Q: I just arrived at my homestay today, and I saw a spider in my bedroom. I think the entire house is clean, but this spider has become a concern. Can you help?

A: It is common in Australia to see insects in the house, especially during warm weather. They want to cool off from outside! Although your host has tries to control the pests (sometimes by spraying outside), some insects may escape and get inside the house. When this happens, you may approach your host so she can spray your bedroom. You can reduce the amount of insects that may come into your room by not keeping food or rubbish in your room.

Q: My host asked me to wash my dishes after meals and help clean up with dinner. I don’t think this is my responsibility, I have maids at home to do this. I paid my homestay fees so I shouldn’t be asked to do any house chores.

A: In Australia, most families do not have maids or house help. Everyone in the family helps to clean up, including their own dishes after meals and cleaning the communal items. Your host will appreciate if you can help to wash your own dishes and will be very happy if you can help clean up the rest of dinner!

Q: How many times a day can I shower? Can I also take a bath?

A: You can shower up to two times a day if you need, however, you cannot have a bath. However, please bear in mind that each shower time should be short. Your host is allowed to have rules about shower time, because water is a precious resource in Australia. During the summer months, Australia is normally in water restrictions, and your shower time needs to be even less.

Q: Will my host do my washing and ironing?

A: Your host will teach you how to use the washing machine and show you where the ironing board is. You are expected to be able to do this chore on your own. Please note that your access to laundry is once a week.
If you are a female student, and it is part of your custom to wash your undergarments by hand, please speak to your host mother. She may give you a bucket so you can do your hand wash.Please make sure you do it in the laundry, not in the bathroom or kitchen. Do not hang your undergarments in your bedroom, ask your host mother for a private area outside you can hang them.

Q: How come my host doesn’t cook me hot breakfast?

A: Breakfast is self-serve (cereal, toast, muesli, etc.), and in Australia, most people have an early start to go to work. They don’t have time to cook hot food in the morning. Therefore, you may need to adjust yourself to eat cereal and toast.
If you want to eat noodles for breakfast, ask your host if they would be willing to buy instant noodles for you.

Q: Can I cook my lunch at home?.

A: You can cook lunch at home if your homestay option is a self-catering (no meals) and if you are over 18. However, if meals are included in your package, you are not supposed to cook. Some hosts may allow you to cook small meals, but you need to ask for permission.

If you are a minor, cooking is not permitted due to safety reasons.

Q: I miss my food from my home country, and I don’t like the food my host cooks. What can I do?

A: It can be hard adjusting to new food. Your host is doing their best to provide nutritious, delicious meals, but we understand they may not be what your familiar with. You can talk to your host and ask them if they are willing to try a recipe from your home country, it would be a good chance to engage and bond with them about cooking in your culture. It’s also important to try new foods, and not dislike a food just based on look or smell. You may be surprised how tasty it can be.

Q: I like snacking at night and my host told me that I cannot keep and eat my food in my bedroom. Why is eating in the bedroom forbidden?

A:Eating in the bedroom can attract unwanted insects to the bedroom, i.e. cockroaches. You need to store your food in the storage area as advised by your host. If you want to snack, the best place to eat is in the kitchen or dining room.

Q: Do I need to inform my host if I don’t come home for dinner? My host cooks nice food, but I just happen to have friends who’d like to dine out often.

A: Dinner is an important time to get to know your host family and bond with them. It’s part of the many reasons you chose homestay. If you won’t join your family for dinner, you must inform your host if you won’t come home for dinner (ideally in the morning before you leave to school) so your host doesn’t to cook extra food for you. If you are running late for dinner, please let your host know so they can set your food in the fridge.
However, if you are a minor, you are expected to be home each night for dinner.

Q: Why my host doesn’t allow me to turn on the heater the entire night?.

A: Due to safety reasons, you must turn off the heater before you go to bed. You need to use the heating equipment wisely, we suggest you turn it on 1-2 hours before you go to sleep, and then turn it off and return it to your host.

Q: Can I bring my friends home?

A: You cannot bring anyone home (including your own parents or relatives) without asking permission from your host first. Please remember that you live at their home, and you need to respect them as a host.

Q: I’m intending to buy a cat. Am I allowed?

A: Although Australians are pet lovers, you still need to discuss this with your host. If your host agrees for you to have a pet, then you can bring your cat home. Unfortunately, if they say no, you must respect their decision.

Q: I’m over 18, can I bring alcohol home?

A: Even if you are over 18, you still need to ask permission from your host if you wish to bring alcohol home. Some hosts may have restrictions due to customs and religion, and you need to respect that.

Q: I’m a minor, and I’m planning to go on a road trip with my friends. They are around my age, and we will be accompanied by my friend’s brother (he is 20). He will escort us to our destination. However, my host mother told me last night that I cannot go. Could you explain to my host?

A: Generally speaking, you cannot travel domestically without having your adult relative’s presence, and this usually must be your parent. Permission must be granted by your institution prior to your departure. If you are going home to your country during school holidays, you may go alone.
With your case, although your friend’s brother is considered as an adult, he is not your relative.

Q: I lost my keys and I’m scared to tell my host. What should I do next?

A: Although you feel uncomfortable and scared to tell your host, it is best to be honest with them. Your host may ask you to pay for the lost keys or in some cases, they may want to replace locks in the entire house. You may need to cover the costs associated with the key replacement. If you do not tell them the truth, this can make other problems, and they may not want to host you anymore.

Q: I’m a minor, and I’m staying with another two students in my homestay. My host told me that she must travel for an emergency for three days. Her sister will come every day to the house to bring food for us. I’m under the impression that there should be an adult presence in the house, which has not been the case.

A: You are completely correct. If your host leaves you with the other students in the house only, and no one spending the night with you, you must contact Global experience immediately by calling +61 2 9264 4022 or our emergency number + 61 430 008 448. This condition is not acceptable, and your host is obligated to inform us if they are leaving for an emergency and cannot find an adult to look after their students. We will relocate you to another homestay immediately, and your host may be suspended.

Q: I would like to continue staying with my host. Can I pay my host directly?

A: No, you cannot. All payments must go through Global experience. Please arrange your next payment by sending an email to accounts@globalexperience.com.au or ring us at the office on +61 2 9264 4022.

Q: If I want to extend, when should I pay you?

A: You (or your agent) will receive an invoice over email. You are expected to complete the payment prior to the due date.

Q: Can I keep my things at my homestay while I return to my country for three months, and no one else will use my room? If yes, do I have to pay for a full fee?

A: We need to discuss it with your host first. If they agree to keep the room and not use it for other students, you need to pay for the Holiday Holding Fee, which is half of the regular accommodation fee.

Q: I’m a permanent resident of Australia. Can I apply for a homestay?

A: Yes, you can. We accept students under Permanent Residency and Australian Citizenship.